34 years later and counting
34 years later and counting—
A bonfire, 1987, homecoming
night. I'm there tonight, with a bottle of wine.
That night, the number had been owned by
this really popular wavy haired blonde kid
who drove a chevy truck before
country was cool
and who’d made
a name for himself in blue and gold.
A recent graduate, playing college ball—
up in Orono as they used to say.
He’d heard I’d chosen the number he’d worn and spotted
me.
“You think you can live up to that number,” the voice asked,
dead serious, out of the dark and the heat of the burning pallets
that warmed the faces
of the people sipping whiskey
poured into coke cans.
I looked up and saw him.
Six two. 200 pounds and good looking.
“Yeah. Hi. It was my father’s number too,” I said, feeling
pathetic.
I was 14 years old.
He smiled.
“Well, I hope you have a good season,” he said,
and disappeared towards the coaches,
the high school principal, and a few booster
people on the far side of the fire.
And as the seasons rolled along, I wondered if I was
living up to that number, the one I’d seen on the uniform of
of my 17 year-old father in the black and white photo
that sat on the bureau in his bedroom.
It was divisible by 3 and 7 and 1 and I divided my mind
hit after hit on fields and sitting with it on
long bus rides to far-away places like Livermore Falls
and Dexter 100s of miles away—
watching my height and weight increase
from season to season
from 120 to 145, 170, 180,
and always placing these
impossible benchmarks in the context
of my father’s approval
“When I was your age,” I can still hear my father saying when I
was at a measly 145. “I weighed 165. That’s a good weight for a corner back
but 180 would be ideal for a halfback.”
On the last game my senior year
we lost 7-6.
I dropped the ball on the 1
and had my jersey torn off my back.
I weighed around 175 then.
It occurs to me, 34 years later,
over 19 months into the pandemic—
and all those numbers of people who have died
that I've kept track of daily—
that I never answered the good looking kid's question.
Comments
Post a Comment