Dean's Game Face
Dean’s Game Face
Sometimes on a sticky summer day,
I’ll smell the grass,
and think of Dean.
Dean, waiting for me at the end of a gauntlet
with his big paw ready to slap my balls.
Dean, who had a beard and an
ATV when he was 12-years-old.
Dean at the end of the line
waiting for me while I run
head and shoulders down
holding onto that ball so tight
plowing through those bodies
and the concussion of pads and helmets,
the hands that threaten to the tear the ball free
and just when I see the light there’s
Dean’s big hand going for my crotch
and a few seconds later—
a pain in my stomach.
I fall to the ground still holding the ball,
and can still see Dean through my facemask giggling.
The coach screams:
“Judas Priest, god damnit Dean, take a lap,”
Dean laughing, looking back, as he trots away
and I’d get up calling him a mother fucker
and the coach would respond,
“And you too.”
and then Dean would be laughing
and we’d running side by side.
Dean was never very serious about football
like I was.
There was this big game one night—
We were done dressing in the locker room
waiting for the coach to open the door.
This was our time— we’d been schooled—
to think about our assignments and get our
game faces on as they always said, treating each
one as though it were a battle.
I guess we were supposed to be manifesting
our orders.
But not for Dean
He was sitting beside me
that night in that anxiety-filled
silent locker room
as though his only assignment
was to get me to punch him.
The look on his face that night wasn’t the game face
the coaches were going for
to say the least.
Dean starts massaging my calf,
even getting his hand up
under my thigh pads.
"You're too serious Scott," he says,
and I yell out,
breaking all vigilance
all decorum....
“Dean, cut the shit!"
And just as I do, coach
walks in and I get yelled at.
Another time one of the coaches
was giving us a pre-game speech about
the Persians and Spartans.
We were sitting there with our helmets on
ready to rip through that paper banner
the cheerleaders had made .
We were the Spartans, I think he was saying,
outnumbered
and outsized.
“And what did the Spartans do...?
they did the fucking impossible
you mother fuckers,
they believed!”
I was feelin that speech
but Dean
starts giggling and it turns into
that uncontrollable kind of laugh
and the coach picks
up a pair of scissors
and throws em.
They bounce off his helmet and
land in my lap.
Dean, being dean, couldn’t stop laughing.
And sometimes on sticky summer days, when the
absurdity of work and living sets in,
I see Dean’s game face and smile.
Comments
Post a Comment